1、【题目】Part IV Translation：
In order to learn to be one’s true self, it is necessary to obtain a wide and extensive knowledge of what has been said and done in the world. (Passage Two)
1、【题目】People with disabilities comprise a large part of the population. It is estimated that over 35 million Americans have physical, mental, or other disabilities. About half of these disabilities are “developmental”, i. e. , they occur prior to the individual’s twenty-second birthday, often form genetic conditions, and are severe enough to effect three or more areas of development, such as mobility, communication, employment, etc. Most other disabilities are considered “adventitious”, i.e. , accidental or caused by outside forces.
Prior to the 20th century, only a small percentage of people with disabilities survived for long. Medical treatment for these disabilities was unavailable. Advancements in medicine and social services have created a climate in which people with disabilities can expert to have such basic needs as food, shelter, and medical treatment. Unfortunately, these basic are often not available. Civil liberties such as the right to vote, marry, get an education, and again employment have historically been denied on the basic of disability.
In recent decades, the disability rights movement has been organized to flight against these infringements (侵害) of civil rights. Congress responded by passing major legislation recognizing people with disabilities as protected class under civil rights statutes.
Still today, people with disabilities must fight to live their lives independently. It is estimated that more than half of qualified Americans with disabilities are unemployed, and a majority of those who do work are underemployed. About two-thirds live at or below the official poverty level.
Significant barriers, especially in transportation and public awareness, prevent disabled people from taking part in society. For example, while no longer prohibited by law from marrying, a person with no access to transportation is effectively excluded from community and social activities which might lead to the development of long-term relationships.
It will only be when public attitudes advance as far as laws are that disabled people will be fully able to take to their right place in society.
16. ”developmental” disability .
A. develops very slowly over time B. is caused forces
C. occurs in youth and affects development D. is getting more and more severe
17. Most disabled people used to die early because .
A. disabilities destroyed major bodily functions B. they were not very well looked after
C. medical techniques were not available D. they were too poor to get proper treatment
18. In the author’s opinion, to enable the disabled people to take their rightful place in society, .
A. more laws should be passed B. public attitudes should be changed
C. government should provide more aids D. more public facilities should be act up
19. Which of the following cannot be inferred from the passage?
A. Many disabled people may remain single for their whole life.
B. The public tends to look down upon the disabled people.
C. The disabled people feel inferior to those surrounding them.
D. Discriminatory (有差别的) laws prevent the disabled from mixing with others.
20. The best title for this passage might be .
A. Handicaps of People with Disabilities B. The Difficulties of the Disabled
C. The Causes for Disabilities D. Medical Treatments for Disabilities
Part II Vocabulary and Structure (共40小题，每小题1分，共40分)
Directions: In this part there are forty incomplete sentences. Each sentence is followed by four choices. Choose the one that best completes the sentence and then mark your answer on the Answer Sheet.
21. It’s still early in the morning. There isn’t in the office.
A. anyone B. everyone C. nobody D. any people
22. is not known what they discussed in the meeting.
A. That B. He C. This D. It
23. Yhe sad news broke her and she has been gloomy ever since.
A. feelings B. emotions C. mind D. heart
24. He is much of a gentleman to fight.
A. so B. as C. very D. too
25. Not until this term to realize how important this subject is to his future career as a diplomat.
A. he began B. ha has begun C. did he begin D. that ha has begun
26. who would like to go on the trip should put their names on the list.
A. Those B. These C. Somebody D. The ones
27. A bottle weighs less after air is taken out, proves that air has weight.
A. we B. it C. which D. what
28. How long ?
A. you suppose did it last B. do you suppose it lasted
C. did you suppose it last D. you suppose it lasted
29. Smmith had some trouble the man’s accent.
A. to understand B. understanding C. for understanding D. with understanding
30. The next few days could be for the peace negotiation.
A. maximum B. practical C. critical D. urgent
31. He quite a lot when he was young.
A. used to travel B. used to traveling C. was used to travel D. would used to travel
32. You me your telephone number in case someone wants to contact you.
A. had better give B. had better given C. had better to give D. had better gave
33. Mary used to the room with Linda.
A. separate B. divide C. hold D. share
34. —Must we hand in our exercise-books now?
—No, you .
A. mustn’t B. don’t C. needn’t D. can’t
35. She pulled away from the window anyone should see them.
A. lest B. even though C. unless D. only if
36. Not a has been found so far that can help the police find the criminal.
A. fact B. clue C. symbol D. sign
37. She would make a teacher far superior the average.
A. over B. than C. beyond D. to
38. Radio is different from television in it sends and receives pictures.
A. which B. that C. what D. this
39. Tom and jack have returned but students of the group haven’t come back yet.
A. other B. the others C. others D. another
40. It half a year since we to study in this university.
A. is; come B. is; have come
C. has been; came D. has been; have come
41. The fact that something is cheap doesn’t mean it is of low quality.
A. necessarily B. especially C. essentially D. practically
42. They set off by car and the nearest town.
A. made for B. made after C. made out D. made to
43. Take this baggage and you can find enough room.
A. put it which B. put it in which
C. put it at where D. put it wherever
44. He doesn’t want that he’s going away.
A. . to be known B. him to be known
C. that to be known D. it to be known
45. The noise around was terrible, but I had to it.
A. keep away from B. keep up with C. live with D. live on
46. He that his guests were bored, although they were listening politely.
A. impressed B. sensed C. inferred D. identified
47. On Sundays I prefer at home to out.
A. to say; go B. stay; going C. staying; going D. staying; go
48. I’d like to write to him, but what’s the ? He never writes back.
A. significance B. business C. point D. purpose
49. There were opinions as to the best location for the new school.
A. disagreeing B. conflicting C. rejecting D. reverting
50. by the news of his father’s death, he could hardly utter a word.
A. To be stunned B. Stunned C. To stun D. Stunning
51. , we’d better make some changes in the plan.
A. That is the case B. That been the case
C. That to be the case D. That being the case
52. They have equipped the office with the business machines.
A. last B. latter C. latest D. later
53. The police found that George had still another of income.
A. origin B. source C. basis D. means
54. An open-minded teacher doesn’t always one single teaching method.
A. set aside B. take over C. take on D. stick to
55. Much to the student’s , the exam was postponed.
A. burden B. concern C. relief D. requirement
56. Children normally feel a lot of about their first day at school.
A. anxiety B. difference C. feelings D. trouble
57. The weather was hot that she decided to have the barber her hairstyle.
A. rather; to change B. so; change
C. much too; change D. too; changed
58. She meet her former instructor on the bus.
A. delighted to B. happened to C. pleased to D. tended to
59. Just as no two words are truly synonymous no two different expressions can mean exactly the same thing.
A. rather B. also C. yet D. so
60. The new engineer’s suggestions were in the revised plan.
A. entitled B. engaged C. embodied D. estimated